After that, I got to thinking that what I needed were some sort of drawers or something that would act like drawers so that I could pull them out and see everything. I went to the restaurant supply store and got two of those gray bin thingies used by busboys. These were fairly shallow and were only about $5.50. These were great except that the inner floor of the bins were not flat - they had wide ribs going lengthwise and if I set bottles or jars in there, they would tip. My second stop was the Dollar Store to get some drawer dividers, the lidless, long, flat-bottomed plastic compartments you put silverware or utensils in. These fit in the bins perfectly, and the bottles fit nicely.
Soon I had nice neat cupboard with bins that pulled out easily, and all my vinegars, vanillas, wines, and baking stuff really visible and easy to get to. After that I was too tired to clean off the top of the cabinet, so tomorrow is another day.
I had several appointments and lots of errands this week so didn't do any sewing. I'm still working on the afghan, though, and am knitting several pairs of socks for A.